/Then and now: Name changes

Then and now: Name changes

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedintumblrmailFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedintumblrmail


 

Tori Bedsole
Features Editor
Here’s to the school we love, even before it was the school we know.
Troy University did not begin as a university; the institution has actually been through a number of name changes since its founding.
Troy State Normal School was founded in 1887 as an institution to train educators for the state of Alabama. In 1983, the school was renamed Troy State Normal College, but it was still focused on educating future teachers. Its name was changed to Troy State Teachers College in 1929.
During this time, there was a tremendous need for educators, so much so that it was common for schools to be created for that singular purpose. The unofficial mascot for the school was even “Troy State Teachers” until it was changed to the “Red Wave.”
In 1930, the campus was moved from downtown Troy to its current location, the beautiful University Avenue.
Due to an increase in college enrollment following World War II, the State Board of Education chose to rename the college Troy State College in 1957. A large contributor to the increased enrollment was the GI Bill, which allows military students to get financial assistance for college.
In 1967, the Board of Trustees changed the name to Troy State University. In 1970, the official mascot of the university was changed to the Trojans.
In 2004, Troy State University became Troy University.
Although it has been 13 years since the last, and more than likely final, name change, there are still remnants of Troy State University around the campus and the city.