Kappa Delta is promoting child abuse awareness



Patrick Stephens

Staff Writer


This week on campus students were greeted to an overwhelming number of signs proclaiming facts such as “more than four children die every day as a result of child abuse” and “A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.”
This is no coincidence, as the ladies of the Kappa Delta sorority have been working on their annual fall philanthropy awareness week, which is aimed at raising awareness for the issue of child abuse.
“Shamrock is a favorite event that Kappa Delta looks forward to and prepares for every year. We are excited to be able to work with the community to change lives in Pike County and nationally,” Kappa Delta’s senior president Julie Murphy, a senior collaborative education major from Opelika, said.
According to Elizabeth Trawick, Kappa Delta’s vice president for community service, this week’s focus is more about awareness rather than raising money, with the money raising effort taking place in the spring.
“In the fall our Shamrock event is a week long, with the flag football tournament on Saturday being our largest event, but other things will have taken place during the week,” Trawick, a junior exercise science major from Abberville, said.
“Monday was when we posted all the facts across campus that you could see on the sidewalk and inside the buildings. Tuesday we were on the quad where we were taking donations of a dollar, after which you could pin a ribbon to the banner and place a pinwheel in our pinwheel garden as a show of support for the children who may have gone through or still be going through child abuse. Wednesday all the sisters will be walking around handing out bags with sweets and a recipe to
prevent child abuse in them.  After this, we will focus our efforts mostly on social media by posting all sorts of facts and statistics about child abuse.”
“This Saturday is going to be a lot of fun.  Everyone loves a good day of football, and it’s great to be able to participate and help support this cause,”   Logan Wagner, a junior psychology major from Baker, Fla., said.
“I just hope that everyone has fun and remembers that ultimately it’s about the children.”
Trawick went on to explain that the focus of this event is child abuse awareness. By making students aware of how prevalent child abuse is today, the sisters of Kappa Delta are hoping to put a stop to this problem.
If anyone wants to show support to Shamrock they can talk to any sister of Kappa Delta for more information about how to get involved or would like to donate.  Of the money raised, 20 percent goes to national Prevent Child Abuse America, while the other 80 percent stays in Pike County and is donated to the Pike County Regional Child Advocacy Center.


Related posts